Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Exclamation: wait, why do I bother?

Colloquy.
Shirley Jackson.

It's just like Shirley Jackson to knock me out with a two-page short story.

I have no words to add. Except that I threw my head back and barked mad the moment I finished its last sentence. Oh, and resolved to read this story every time before I edit an essay, to remind me of - what the story takes two pages to say.

Just read it.

Funnily enough, I read this just before a class started, in which we're reading Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo. And Pedro Paramo....well, let's just say when I finished it, I felt a shiver in my blood vessels, the same kind I felt when I finished As I Lay Dying by Faulkner.

Rulfo. Faulkner, Hamsun, Chin.....

I love you brilliant writers, and I hate you for writing what I wanted to write, long before I even realized that it's what I wanted to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment